Quantcast

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Two Pre-Pub Updates

So I realize you already have the synopsis on the pre pub books, but I thought I'd update you guys on my thoughts on a couple of the recent ones that I've read. I know, follow up is a good idea and should be pretty automatic. Shame on me.

On June 26, I featured the hugely buzzed about Still Missing by Chevy Stevens, a book about a woman who is kidnapped and held captive for a year. The big twist is that from the beginning of the book, the reader knows that she's escaped. The ordeal is told through therapy sessions and plays out as the character's recollections.

This one is not for sensitive readers. It's brutal and shocking, and Stevens does an amazing job! 100% worthy of all of the praise and buzz. If you are a fan of dark thrillers, you should definitely check it out. And this is definitely one that I thought I'd figured out and turned out to be completely wrong on.

My second update is Rebecca James's Beautiful Malice, which I featured on the July 3 pre-pub post. Now this one is being described in some circles as a teen thriller (yes, I've come across THOSE reviews). If you happen to have seen it described as such, ignore it. Sure, the book is actually a pretty appropriate read for the teen set, but it's most definitely an adult book in my opinion. I really enjoyed this book. It's suspenseful, if a bit predictable. All in all, though, if you're looking for an intense and quick read, this is definitely one you should check out.

The book plays out essentially in three timelines. Present day, Katherine Patterson recalls the events that have led to where she is today. The events in question begin as she starts a new school, under a new name, to try and get past a tragic accident that occurred in her recent past. Confused? You shouldn't be. As I said, it was a little easy to figure out, but watching the character unravel all of the pieces and make her own connections was just as enjoyable as if I had been in the dark the entire time. James is one to watch.

No comments: