Quantcast

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Pre Pub Book Buzz -- Married With Zombies by Jesse Petersen

You must all know I'm prepared for the zombie invasion, right? I mean, I've been reading up on plenty of material just in case. Armed with Shaun of the Dead and 28 Days Later as well as the genius of George Romero and the slew of recent book releases in the budding zombie genre, I think I've got it in the bag.

And now Jesse Petersen has entered the fray with her advice on how to keep the romance, and your relationship, alive in the event of a zombie infestation!

Technically, I think you can find this in bookstores now, but Petersen's hilarious debut, Married With Zombies, is officially due out September 1. Did I mention it's another Orbit release? Love those guys!

I have to say that not only was I thoroughly amused and entertained by this first in the Living With the Dead series, but it was kind of a lifesaver, too. I found myself in a bit of a predicament just one day before starting this one where I was stuck in the doctor's office waiting room and a finished book. Agh! Hate when that happens. To prevent this, I didn't even crack the spine on Married With Zombies until the following afternoon when I was sitting in my dentist's office waiting room. Fortunately they didn't keep me waiting too long because I found I'd gobbled up the first fifty pages in just under half an hour (I was early).

Sarah and David are having some problems in their marriage. Because of this, they have a standing weekly appointment with their couples' counselor, a time and fund suck if ever there was one considering both of them have independently searched for divorce attorneys online. But this week is a little different. When they find their therapist eating her other clients, the troubled couple find themselves forced to work together to try and survive, and escape!

Honestly, there was no way that I wasn't going to love this book! It's totally in the Shaun of the Dead vein and I love, love, love the end. I can't wait until January when book two, Flip This Zombie, is set for release. Twisted humor, gory zombie action, and totally laugh out loud zombie related couples' advice make this one of the funniest and most original debuts I've read so far this year (and I must mention that I've followed up reading this one with yet another contender for funniest read of the year, so when you see that phrase again next week, it's the honest to God truth, not a lack of original thought on my part even if my brain is admittedly a bit frazzled of late).

Married With Zombies is pure fun and I can't recommend it highly enough to dark humor and zombie lovin' readers!

No comments: