Quantcast

Monday, April 26, 2010

Witchling by Yasmine Galenorn

I finished my fourth read for Literary Escapism's Battle Royale Mini-Challenge for April. Yay! Progress. And the best thing about it is that even in the middle of this sleep nonsense, I managed to finish it in just a day. Woohoo! I'm trying to see if I can make some good headway with a second book this weekend (not for the challenge) and then see if I can squeeze in my planned book five before the week is out.

Anyway, the fourth book from my list was Witchling by Yasmine Galenorn, first in her Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon series. It's paranormal romance/urban fantasy and I really wasn't totally sure if I was in the mood for the romance part. Fortunately, Witchling is packed full of great characters and a super fun plot. Totally hit the spot after all!

The Otherworld series is about three sisters who are half human/half fae. They've settled in the human realm and work for the Otherworld Intelligence Agency. Camille, Delilah, and Menolly each have their own different powers and suffer a bit of side-effects from their human half. Camille is a witch whose spells don't always work out quite right, Delilah is a shapeshifter (an orange tabby) who has a tendency to shift when she gets too stressed, and Menolly is a vampire.

When a fellow otherworlder is murdered, the sisters are set to the task of investigating. They learn that there is a new leader in the Subterranean Realm who would like nothing more than to break through the natural barriers and rule all three realms. Not good. There are nine spirit seals that protect the realms. If the seals are destroyed, chaos would ensue.

I love the fairy tale feel to this book. The different realms and the creatures that are introduced in Witchling make this one a bit different from others in the genre -- always a good thing. It also seems that each book follows a different sister, so it'll be interesting to continue and learn more about them.

Another new-to-me author to add to the "Must Read" list!

5 comments:

Vickie said...

This is a fun series and I don't get too wrapped up in the romance part because the action and characters are so cool. Glad you liked it. I gotta figure out where I left off and get back to the seies one of these days.

Cheryl said...

I agree with Vickie. I really like this series.

WonderBunny said...

I liked this book. I also enjoy her cozy mystery series.

Good review. :)

Vickie said...

WonderBunny: I have read the first one in her cozy series and really liked it, but I realllly dig the sisters series.

Becky LeJeune said...

Well now I'm going to have to check out the cozy as well!