Quantcast

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Pre Pub Book Buzz -- Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Oh, I am just dying to get my hands on this book (one of many)!

Zafon is just a truly amazing author. I was completely blown away, as were many readers, by Shadow of the Wind, a book that placed Zafon firmly in my favorite authors category. In fact, I'm thinking that I'm going to have to order two copies of this one so that I can keep mine and get one for the JJs.

I think I had heard about this book before last week, but when my PW arrived with the full page ad, I started to get super excited. Prince of Mist doesn't technically hit shelves here in the States until May 4, but it was originally released in 1993 in Spain. In fact, Prince of Mist is just one of four teen books that Zafon wrote before The Shadow of the Wind was released in Spain in 2001.

Like Shadow and its prequel, Angel's Game, Prince of Mist is translated by Lucia Graves, so I expect it to be just as great of a read as the others.

Here's the synopsis from Amazon UK:

Max Carver's father - a watchmaker and inventor - decides to move his family to a small town on the coast, to an old house that once belonged to a prestigious surgeon, Dr Richard Fleischmann. But the house holds many secrets and stories of its own. Behind it is an overgrown garden full of statues surrounded by a metal fence topped with a six-pointed star. When he goes to investigate, Max finds that the statues seem to consist of a kind of circus troop with the large statue of a clown at its centre. Max has the curious sensation that the statue is beckoning to him. As the family settles in they grow increasingly uneasy: they discover a box of old films belonging to the Fleischmanns; his sister has disturbing dreams and his other sister hears voices whispering to her from an old wardrobe. They also discover the wreck of a boat that sank many years ago in a terrible storm. Everyone on board perished except for one man - an engineer who built the lighthouse at the end of the beach. During the dive, Max sees something that leaves him cold - on the old mast floats a tattered flag with the symbol of the six-pointed star. As they learn more about the wreck, the chilling story of the Prince of the Mists begins to emerge.

Visit the official Prince of Mist website for a trailer and more, and don't forget to mark this one on your calendars (or preorder if you're like me and can't wait).

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Never read anything by this author but you really have my interest. Adding to my wish list as well