Quantcast

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

It's Lori's Fault

I love hearing that my blog has given someone more reading ideas. And I totally poach TBRs from fellow readers as well -- poach sounds so negative, doesn't it? But really, is there a better word for trolling book blogs and fellow Shelfari shelves for stuff to add to my "To Buy" list? I don't think so.

Note to self, look up synonyms for poach (not cooking).

Haha. Anywho, I started reading a few books this weekend in an attempt to clear some reviews off the TBR shelf. One of those books got moved up courtesy of Lori over at Lori's Reading Corner, who reminded me of a great new title I had sitting on my shelf: Rick Mofina's Vengeance Road. Lori's got it in her stack to read this week and I decided that it would be my next read as well.

This is, according to Mofina's site, the first in a new series and features Buffalo, NY reporter Jack Gannon. Next book in the series is due out next summer.

The book begins with the discovery of a young woman, murdered and dumped in a local park in Buffalo. Gannon hears the word go out on the police scanner and decides to check it out for a possible story. What he discovers leads him to a surprising story that eventually lands him in the unemployment line. Now Gannon must uncover the truth about the murder in order to save his own reputation. Meanwhile, Jack has also been approached by a worried mother whose own daughter has gone missing. Gannon soon discovers that the girl is linked to his murder victim, but the second girl has been missing without a trace and Jack doesn't even know yet if she's still alive.

This is my first time reading Mofina and I really enjoyed it. The book had a very quick pace made all that much more intense by chapters featuring the missing girl. I have to say I am really looking forward the next chapter of Gannon's story and in going back and reading Mofina's earlier works as well. Definitely a recommended edge-of-your-seat read!

If Mofina is already on your reading horizon, then you might also like Jason Pinter's Henry Parker series.

1 comment:

Lori's Reading Corner said...

HEE HEE. I love feeding other people's book addictions ;) And this is why my friends call me "the book pimp" :)