Quantcast

Monday, February 9, 2009

So I Happened to Notice...

that one of my favorite books is being released in e-book format very soon. Not that I read e-books or anything (I have no e-reader and don't want to sit in front of my computer for that long, plus, I read in the tub and I'm thinking an expensive e-reader + water = bad things). 

But, it did remind me that I've never posted here about it. Bad me! You know I read just about anything, but most of my reads have some sort of mysterious element to them. This book is no exception, although to look at it you might not initially see the multiple layers. And that's one of the things that makes it such a fabulous read. I also have to admit that upon initially starting the book, I had some reservations. In just a few pages, however, the author and her tale completely won me over and I am so glad for it. 

The fantastic, wonderful, amazing book (well you've already seen the pic so you know) is And She Was by Cindy Dyson. I've been waiting for ages for Dyson to release something new, but alas it has not happened. That's ok, though, because I can introduce all of you to And She Was! The title comes from the song of the same name by the Talking Heads, just fyi. 

Anyway, still trying to get over my mad cold, but I'm with it enough to remember to post some actual info on the book before my mind leaves on vacation. So, with that little nugget, here's my review from the Bookbitch archives:

This is a fantastic debut set in the Aleutian Islands in the mid 1980's. When Brandy follows her boyfriend to this remote setting, she is left to her own devices as he ships off to sea on a fishing trawler. She manages to find work at one of the toughest bars in the world. Here, one of her favorite pastimes - collecting bathroom graffiti - causes her to get embroiled in a mystery of sorts that spans generations. Paralleling Brandy's tale is that of three women and their female ancestors. In the 1700's when explorers discover these remote islands, the men of the Aleutian society leave to protect their homes against the invaders. While the men are off fighting, the women and children are forced to fend for themselves. As hunting is a men's task and all the men are gone, food is becoming scarce. Three women are forced to take matters into their own hands and in doing so they leave themselves open to being banished from their society. This is a story of self discovery and growth as well as one that gives insight to cultural differences and taboos. And She Was is a truly amazing read that I cannot recommend highly enough. Dyson's writing is impeccable and the story will appeal to a very broad audience. 

So run out and buy it, order it if you have to (it's well worth it) and tell me if you don't absolutely love it. I put this in my Joanne Harris category. I think if you like Harris (Chocolat) then you should like Dyson. I would also suggest that if you belong to a book club that has the tendency to read the same things every other book club is reading, suggest this title for something a little bit different!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't have an eReader either. I print out the books. I was waiting for the Kindle 2.0, then found out it doesn't support the new PDFs. So now I am waiting on that other one that is flexible - made out of some new plastic. They claim it works with all PDF, especially the one I am concerned about. That won't be out until 2010 though.