Quantcast

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

American Demon by Kim Harrison

Kim Harrison is back with the 14th installment to the Hollows series! I don't think anyone ever suspected this book was coming. Harrison's last foray into Rachel Morgan's world was the 2017 release of The Turn, the prequel about the beginnings of the infection that wiped out humans. Before that, it was the "last" installment in the series, The Witch With No Name, which released way back in 2014. So yeah, as a Hollows fan, I was elated to hear that we were going to be returning to the series at long last!

Rachel saved the world. Now what? 

Now, she's trying to rebuild the damaged church she and her partners once called home. She's trying to help maintain the peace between the newly released demons and everyone else. And she's trying to move on in general. But zombies are wandering the city, elven politics are complicating everything, and it appears someone is targeting couples in a most bizarre and random seeming series of murders that has the authorities stumped. Which means they've turned their suspicions on the demons. Something Rachel is none too pleased about!

Oh, it's been so long! And I have to say returning to this series is so welcome right now! But it has made me nostalgic for a time that's so far gone for me it's not even funny!

Dead Witch Walking released way back in 2004. I was still living in Louisiana, working at Barnes and Noble, and I believe it was my first real foray into urban fantasy. How I loved it! The premise was that all of the "others" (witches, vampires, pixies, weres, elves...) have been outed thanks to a virus that wiped out much of regular old humanity. A virus that spread thanks to genetically engineered tomatoes—so humans can't even eat pizza anymore without a risk!

So much has changed since then, both for me and for the series. Rachel and her friends grew and evolved with each new installment and I was there every step of the way. So returning to the series has been like visiting old friends I haven't seen for quite some time (and has me nostalgic for actual old friends I haven't seen for quite some time!). 

American Demon does pick up in the immediate aftermath of The Witch With No Name. Fortunately, the book begins with a refresher to bring you back up to speed. And it doesn't take long to sink back into the familiar world of the Hollows!

I'll say it again: This book is such a welcome return to the series and I know longtime fans are going to be more than pleased! And it's my understanding that Harrison is working on yet another Hollows book as we speak!

If you somehow missed this series the first time around and are curious and want to start from the beginning, here's the series list in order (note, I'm only listing the novels—there are a slew of short stories as well): 

Dead Witch Walking
The Good, the Bad and the Undead
Every Which Way But Dead
A Fistful of Charms
For a Few Demons More
The Outlaw Demon Wails
White Witch, Black Curse
Black Magic Sanction
Pale Demon
A Perfect Blood
Ever After
The Undead Pool
The Witch With No Name

Order them from your favorite indie via Bookshop!

No comments: