Quantcast

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Classics

I've decided to jump on board with Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week the topic is: Top Ten Favorite Classics.


Here goes!

1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë - this was required reading for a special topics course I took in college. I actually didn't expect to like it at all but it turned out to really hit the spot for me!

2. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - this is required reading in a lot of schools - or was when I was in high school and just out of - but never one that made my class lists :( I read it on my own one summer and adored it.

3. Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson - yet another required read in college. I didn't know anything about it going in so I had no expectations bad or otherwise. This series of interconnected stories remains one of my favorite short story collections. 

4. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque - this brutal and vivid WWI tale is a truly gripping read. This one was on the syllabus for a course I took on the Fall of Europe. 

5. L. Frank Baum's Oz series - I've only read a few of the collection to date but they're so amazingly wonderful. It's a real shame most people have only been exposed to the first book. 

6. The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare - this was one of my most re read books as a kid!

7. Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink - this was another one I really enjoyed as a kid. I'd heard a lot about it and sought it out on my own. 

8. The Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter - I think this was a shiny new cover discovery. I don't remember anyone ever talking about this book but after I read it a friend of my parents' ended up giving to me as a gift. I thought it was fantastic and remember it fondly!

9. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert C. O'Brien - I have possible vague memories of reading this with my dad. The story, though, is one that's stuck with me my whole life. 

10. The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury - because it's Ray Bradbury!

No comments: