Quantcast

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

It's Definitely Fall Outside!

Brr. It's cloudy and ick here today and the weather forecast says that's not going to change for the next few days. I'd actually welcome it if we weren't in store for a whole winter in a few months. I've got some soup recipes to try out and have broken out the tea stash this week.

A few update-y things today:

I've discovered (been turned on to) a fun new blog for mystery and crime fans: http://www.readmedeadly.com/

I know I've mentioned my BBC obsession before and thanks to the lovely Allison Brennan and her enthusiastic comments about the show, I had a marathon weekend of Luther season 1 a few months back. What a killer of a cliffhanger ending! If you haven't watched it, I definitely highly recommend it. I think a Luther post is in order soon. Anyway, season 2 airs on BBCA beginning Sept 28. Check it out. Here's a non-spoilerish trailer for your viewing pleasure:


You should know, the creator of Luther is UK author Neil Cross. If, perchance, you become as obsessed with the series as I have, Cross has penned a prequel novel for the series, Luther: The Calling. It's a UK release, but, as always, there are plenty of places you can order it.

If you haven't been to the movies lately, you've missed out on some fun ones. I hit up the theater for Don't Be Afraid of the Dark last weekend and thought it was super good. Course Guillermo del Toro could probably do no wrong in my eyes. I've loved all of his films to date.

Some new adaptations are hitting the big screen as well: Drive based on the book by James Sallis, I Don't Know How She Does It based on the book by Allison Pearson, and the remake of Sam Peckinpah's Straw Dogs, which is based on The Siege of Trencher's Farm by Gordon Williams. I'm on the fence about seeing this one. The original starred Dustin Hoffman and I once caught the very end of it on tv. It's a brutally violent movie, which admittedly doesn't completely turn me off. I'm afraid curiosity might be my motivating factor in seeing it, though. For True Blood fans, it's your chance to see Alexander Skarsgard in a new role.

The Big Year based on the book by Mark Obmascik comes out in October as does The Rum Diary based on Hunter S. Thompson's book of the same name (having read some of Thompson's work, I have to say this looks hilarious and I'm tempted to buy the book -- if we don't already have it somewhere). The Hugo Cabret adaptation hist screens in November. We Need to Talk About Kevin based on Lionel Shriver's book is coming in December. Then there's the remake of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carre the same month (and looks AMAZING). And of course, the holiday releases are the animated Tintin movie and the US remake of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Other upcoming adaptations: Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (starring Tom Hanks, so I'll be seeing it even if I don't ever read it), We Bought a Zoo, starring Matt Damon (Benjamin Mee's memoir), and One For the Money in January.

But if you're not a fan of adaptations, there's still plenty coming out. Personally, I'm looking forward to Dream House, The Thing (yes, it's a reboot), Texas Killing Fields, and In Time, amongst others.

And now that I've overloaded you with links, that's all for the moment :)

2 comments:

Vickie said...

Katharine Heigl as Stephanie Plum? Nuh-uh....sigh....

I do want to see some movies while on stay-cation this week. A lot of DVDs to catch up and some at the show.

John Connolly next week.....

Becky LeJeune said...

I know, Vickie (re Stephanie Plum). I'm open to it. I'll give her a chance, but I'm really not feeling ANY of the casting on it.