Quantcast

Monday, April 4, 2016

Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan

Happy Monday, everyone! Today I'm a stop on the TLC book tour for Jenny Colgan's latest, Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery.

Polly's life is finally looking up. She has a great boyfriend, runs two thriving local bakeries, and can now officially call the island lighthouse home. Things are still tight, but it's a great improvement over the previous year for sure!

But then Polly's landlord passes away leaving her sister in charge of the bakeries and Polly's newfound independence takes massive a nosedive. Things get worse when the widow of Polly's married former lover relocates to the island, taking up the lease on the apartment above the bakery. And amidst all of that, Polly's love life seems to be taking a turn as well. 

Jenny Colgan returns readers to the charming setting of Mount Polbearne in this follow up to The Little Beach Street Bakery.

I quite love this series. The setting, the characters, Neil the puffin... but I have to say Polly was annoying the ever living crap out of me in the beginning. I so wanted her to just stand up for herself and she wouldn't! Her cowing down with regards to the bakery in particular was literally driving me bananas!

That aside, I have to say that I very much enjoyed coming back to this world. The small community, the support and closeness of the characters, and Polly's baked creations, of course, make the Little Beach Street Bakery books such warm and welcoming reads. It's comfort reading to the extreme - a feel good series with bread :) (bread not included, but there are recipes for bread in the book's extras!).

This is the second book in the series and while it might actually be fine to read this one first, I think they're much more fun read in order. Seeing Polly's story (and the others) evolve and grow is so much more rewarding, in my opinion. But, if you must start with Summer, I guess that's ok. I won't fuss. And meeting Polly et al in any order is better than not meeting her at all. Be warned, though, as with lots of foodie related titles you will want snacks!

To see more stops on the tour be sure to check out the official TLC tour page here.

For more on Jenny Colgan and her work you can visit her website here. You can also like her on Facebook and follow her on Twitter.

Purchase Links: HarperCollins | Amazon | Barnes & Noble


1 comment:

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

Just looking at the cover makes me crave desserts! I'll need an entire box of cookies handy if I decide to read this book. :)

Thanks for being a part of the tour!