Quantcast

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Charlotte Street by Danny Wallace

I'm happy to be part of the TLC book tour for Danny Wallace's Charlotte Street this morning!

In lieu of my typical synopsis here, I'll let the author do the talking:



Holy cow! Within just a few pages, I was laughing out loud reading this one! Jason's drunken Facebooking had me rolling on the floor!

After Jason Priestly -- lots of fodder for 90210 jokes throughout the book! -- realizes he still has the girl's camera, he and his friends end up going on a bit of a scavenger hunt to try and find her. Interspersed throughout the book are a handful of blog posts written by the girl in question, though she remains mysteriously anonymous. And of course Jason isn't one of her six-ten readers.

But the book is not just about Jason trying to find the girl he thinks could be the one. The book is also about sort of finding yourself. The reader knows that Jason was a teacher, though the real prompting for his leaving his job is revealed a bit later in the book. But Jason is at a bit of an impasse. It's a situation that's shared by some of his friends as well. What do they want out of life? What do they want to do WITH their lives?

Charlotte Street is a charming story and while I've not read any Nick Hornby (yes, shamefully I've seen the movies but not read any of the books), I would imagine that many Hornby fans will be drawn to Wallace's fiction debut. I would hope so anyway. Charlotte Street is a (dare I say it?) romantic comedy but one that fans of High Fidelity will appreciate (both men and women, in other words!).

To see other stops on the tour, visit the official TLC tour page here.

For more on Danny Wallace and his work you can visit his website here, you can also like him on Facebook and follow him on Twitter.


1 comment:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Yup, I can think of a few 90210 jokes right now ...

Glad you enjoyed this one! Thanks for being on the tour.