Quantcast

Monday, June 11, 2012

Wife 22 by Melanie Gideon

I told you guys I'd need to change it up a bit. So many dark reads in a row requires a funny sort of intermission, especially considering I'm diving into George R. R. Martin's Storm of Swords as we speak.

Something is off in Alice Buckle's marriage. An email request to participate in a survey regarding marriage in the 21st century forces Alice to look back at her relationship -- what brought her and her husband together, what's happened along the way, and what might have caused this rift that's begun between them. A heartwarming look at love, relationships, and family, Wife 22 is funny and charming all the way through. 

I asked for light and Melanie Gideon delivered! Wife 22 was a quick and enjoyable read, perfect for summer (or any time of year) and a great diversion from my normal dark fare.

Alice is super funny. She's quirky, she's appealing, she's a forty-something mother and wife who even a thirty-something (practically) newlywed with no kids can relate to and sympathize with. I liked the use of the questionnaire -- the questions are actually included in the back as an appendix, but I was able to glean most of them from Alice's responses anyway -- and that was part of the fun. Alice's facebook updates and internal notes to herself were another cute addition and kept the pace of the book quick.

If you're in the mood for a thought-provoking and delightfully character-driven read, I'd definitely recommend Wife 22.

No comments: