Quantcast

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Changelings!

I've been reading some teen titles lately. One of them was the amazing new debut by Brenna Yovanoff, The Replacement. I was poking around on her blog and saw that she once mentioned she wanted to be like Clive Barker. I have to say that the underworld in The Replacement was super Barker-ish and in such a good way! I'd say she's on her way and I seriously hope her love affair with horror continues. The genre could use some fresh blood, so to speak : )

I've probably said it numerous times here, but I couldn't be happier with the current boom in teen books. Well, I guess I would be happier if I was a teen. There really wasn't that much selection back when I was in school. Fortunately for the Junior Junkies, they have a big sister who's addicted to books and peruses all of the various fiction sections, so they get all the new releases that strike my fancy -- the ones I read and the ones I just think they'll like.

Yovanoff's teen debut is a dark and creepy read that, in my opinion, should have sort of an all ages appeal (older teens and up).

Mackie has always been different and in the tiny town of Gentry, different is never a good thing. In Gentry, folks hang horseshoes over their doors and shears over their babies' beds. But every once in a while, a child disappears and is replaced by something different. Something that resembles the child, until you look closer. Mackie is one of those other children. But Mackie survived longer than expected. Now he lives in fear of iron and poisoned by the world around him. Until he is introduced to more of his kind.

I really enjoyed Yovanoff's twisting of fairy tales and folklore and her imagery is utterly amazing. Perhaps it was the Nyquil, but I don't think so. Yovanoff's descriptions really made my imagination go wild. Little Cheshire Cat faced creepy kids. I get chills just thinking about it.

No comments: