- An hour and a half oil change that was supposed to take 30 minutes, oh and the snarky receptionist who "helped" me there)
- A trip to the county clerk's office to take care of registration mess thanks to delayed mail
- Flight delays out of NYC that have pushed my other a full day behind our schedule. Fortunately the two day delay seems to have been averted
- Getting kitties and dog ready for surrogate parenting while we are gone
- Boxing up all of the items I promised I would bring with me for this, that, and the other person
- And all the while trying to stick to a deadline for work work.
How do I de-stress? Not with alcohol sadly (or fortunately, however you look at it) since I seem to be allergic. Mostly I take baths, and read, and watch various amusing shows. Since my normal tv is on hiatus at the moment, though, my only real option in the tv arena is in the form of dvd.
So what have I been watching? Well thanks to queue delays on Doctor Who Series 4, I'm finally watching Torchwood. For those who aren't enamored with BBC programming like I am, Torchwood is a spin-off series of Doctor Who (torchwood is an anagram of doctor who). The Torchwood agency is first mentioned in the Queen Victoria/werewolf episode in season 2 of Who. They are an organization that works outside of the police, and now outside of the government as well (see Who episodes 12 and 13 of season 2 and 12 and 13 of season 3 for that progression) that deals specifically with aliens, but also other paranormal stuff.
It's fun to see all the references to Torchwood and to have met Captain Jack on Who and to now be watching his show. It is much more adult oriented than Who, that's for sure, and it's got some pretty neat storylines. I'm not too far into season one just yet, but last night I watched a fab ep about fairies ("Small Worlds"). "Cyberwoman" will be familiar to Who watchers, as will a certain prized possession of Jack's in "Day One" although what we should surmise about his attachment to it can be left up to the imagination. Overall, it's quite amusing and I'm excited to continue. I could definitely see Gwen as a Doctor companion as well (I like her!).
There are just two seasons so far on dvd. Season three is set to air and will begin with a story arc that will span the first five eps. Not sure when this season will be airing here in the states, though, so if you want to watch, you'd better start now.
Ah well, I have to get back to the trip preparation and find something for dinner. I'm sure my posts will be spotty for the next week, but if I have time I'll get some ready to pre-post before I leave.
Happy holidays, everyone!