Quantcast

Monday, March 12, 2012

Where's My Bookmark: Wide Open by Deborah Coates

Hello, all, and a happy Monday to you!

I've still got a massive head cold (yes, they are marathon events in my case, lasting much longer than with any normal person). The good news is that having sprung forward, the days are getting longer and the sun is finally coming out, which means that I'm starting to defrost from winter. Yay! It also means that I don't feel like I should be in bed by 5pm. And this translates into getting more done, including reading!

Deborah Coates's Wide Open made its way into my TBR stack this weekend and I was able to dive in last night (post Walking Dead). It's an intriguing beginning to a new trilogy.

In the book, Hallie Michaels has returned home on ten days' leave for her sister's funeral. While Dell's death is still under investigation, preliminary thoughts are that it must be a suicide. Hallie knows there's no way her sister killed herself and is determined to find out the truth.

Did I mention Hallie sees ghosts? Coates's heroine died herself just prior to when the book begins and has been able to see ghosts ever since. Course her ability is new and she still isn't sure what the ghosts actually want from her.

Like I said, intriguing. I've had my eye on this one for a while and was lucky enough to get a finished copy for review. I'm at the halfway mark as we speak and hope to finish this evening. Wide Open is proving to be a quick read though there are a few parts where the flow of the narrative hangs up a bit. I really like Hallie as a character and I'm kind of dying to find out what's up with Boyd Davies (he's a local cop on the case).

Wide Open officially on shelves tomorrow from Tor.

1 comment:

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

I'm dying to read this one!