Quantcast

Friday, March 9, 2012

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

How freaking awesome is Cinder!? For everyone who's read it, I know you all know. For anyone who hasn't, you are seriously missing out. Seriously.

A futuristic, cyborg retelling of Cinderella in a post-outbreak world where there are people living on the moon!

Society views cyborgs as lesser humans. In fact, they're lucky that science has been able to give them new life. And so it is cyborgs that are singled out for experimentation in the search for a cure against the virus that has plagued human kind. Cinder has been raised in a household that doesn't want her. As a cyborg, she is little more than her ward's possession. When she is volunteered for testing, Cinder believes it's the end. But it's only the beginning.

Cinder is yet another of those spectacularly original teen debuts causing even adult readers to salivate and beg for more. I mean it. I read almost the whole thing in one sitting (on an airplane -- and it made the otherwise miserable ride oh, so bearable). I'm nagging the Junior Junkies almost daily to get after reading it themselves.

Nevermind the fact that it's a completely original new spin on a classic fairy tale. Nevermind the fact that it's a futuristic dystopian (of which I certainly can't get enough). And nevermind the fact that it's freaking cyborgs! Marissa Meyer has some real writing talent.

I know "gripping" is overused, but sometimes you have to use it. And "entrancing" may prompt many to go searching for their thesaurus, but it's true. If I can be fangirl and gush over this book any more than I already am, tell me how. I seriously loved it.

There have always been fine writers and there have always been great books, but the teen market right now is flourishing in a way that I could never imagine 15 years ago. I'd say it's not fair -- as a teen, I catapulted straight to adult books thanks to the severe lack of variety. I wish we'd had this much passion over YA when I was technically in that reading bracket. But hey, I think all of us readers chomping at the bit for any great book -- teen, adult, or otherwise -- are benefitting just as much as the target market. A good book is a good book no matter who it's aimed at, and Cinder is quite a good book.

Cinder is also available in audiobook from Macmillan Audio. The folks there were kind enough to send me a sample for you guys, check it out!

2 comments:

Vickie said...

OH BOY! This looks awesome. Thanks for the cranium's up.

Lori said...

I really loved this one as well!